Security efforts launched in July 2017 by Museum Park Super Neighborhood are yielding results. Steps towards the comprehensive solution that we’re all working towards were discussed at the Nov. 8 meeting.
- HPD has provided continuous coverage in the area beginning October 23rd including patrol cars and mounted police. Our thanks to Cpt. Salam Zia, Lt. Shamara Garner, and Sgt. Eric Flores, our South Central HPD officers, who coordinate HPD’s Homeless Outreach Team, Narcotics, Homicide, and various social service providers. TXDoT has requested that HPD notify them of any fires adjacent to TXDoT structures.
- City of Houston Solid Waste Management continues to conduct bi-weekly Solid Waste clean up.
- HouSE (Southeast Management District) has contracted HPD motorcycle officers who make two checks in the area near the encampment Monday-Wednesday during their three-hour shifts. Sgt. Frank Gans, who leads the HouSE contract-team, is conducting 4-6 checks of the area near the encampment during six-hour shifts Thursdays and Fridays. These checks are part of the normal HouSE patrol route that takes the patrols south to Griggs Road and Palm Center.
- Midtown Management District is currently providing dumpsters for solid waste management. Precinct 7 Constable Patrols pass through the encampments generally twice a day at varying times, among their other duties for Midtown. S.E.A.L. security also provides patrols in Midtown including the area near the encampment regularly.
- Chris Erickson was recognized as the incoming Safety and Security Committee Chair. Chris will steer the Museum Park Security Alliance effort that includes Management Districts, businesses, institutions, churches, schools, residents, and all who have an interest in enhancing a thriving Museum Park environment.
MPSN Council will continue to work in collaboration with the Houston Police Dept., Houston Southeast Management District, Midtown Management District, and METRO to as effectively as possible manage safety, security, environmental, health, and solid waste issues surrounding the US 59 encampment within Museum Park. HPD, the City of Houston, social service and health agencies continue to offer outreach services to those living in the encampment.